Sahih Bukhari Book 18. Eclipses
Narated By Abu Musa : The sun eclipsed and the Prophet got up, being afraid that it might be the Hour (i.e. Day of Judgment). He went to the Mosque and offered the prayer with the longest Qiyam, bowing and prostration that I had ever seen him doing. Then he said, “These signs which Allah sends do not occur because of the life or death of somebody, but Allah makes His worshipers afraid by them. So when you see anything thereof, proceed to remember Allah, invoke Him and ask for His forgiveness.”
1. Why was P Mahomed afraid of the eclipse ?
2. Why didn’t allah take pity on him and teach him the truth about the eclipse? Thus, he was ignorant about the eclipse? Was allah ignorant too?
3. Why did he fear that the eclipse might be the day of judgement? Why was he not sure that allah would tell him about the ‘HOUR’ before [or as soon as] it arrived? What is the point of proclaiming oneself as a prophet?
4. Pagan arabs were better than him : sura 54.2 ‘And if they [pagans] see a miracle, they turn away and say, “Passing magic.”‘
5. Some of his ‘knowledgable’ followers [compared with pagans] thought that an eclipse occurs when someone is born or dies [e.g. ibrahim]. He was obliged to explain:
Volume 2, Book 18, Number 153:
Narrated Al-Mughira bin Shu’ba:
“The sun eclipsed in the life-time of Allah’s Apostle on the day when (his son) Ibrahim died. So the people said that the sun had eclipsed because of the death of Ibrahim. Allah’s Apostle said, “The sun and the moon do not eclipse because of the death or life (i.e. birth) of some-one. When you see the eclipse pray and invoke Allah.”